[MPA] DVD Audio?

Wesley Griffin wgriffin at fraktured.net
Fri Jan 30 09:24:17 PST 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 3:45 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Out of curiosity, is it possible to burn a DVD Audio disk on the Mac?
> I don't see options for such things with Toast, though it looks like
> A.Pack (it comes with DVDSP2 has an option for making the audio for a
> DVD Audio disk.  In all honesty, I'm not even sure what makes a DVD
> Audio disk, though I am aware there are two different formats.

I asked this question back in November, didn't get any replies. I
haven't found any application for creating DVD-A discs on OS X. I've
found 2 for windows: Minnetonka and Sonic (I think Sonic might have had
some sort of DVD-A stuff on mac, but I can't find anything). The other
issue is that even though Minnetonka has a $500 offering, most people
recommend buying the big brother (Chrome I think) that's ~$5000.
Sonic's pricing is around that point too.

I haven't looked in-depth at DVDSP, as I couldn't find anything
informative on the webpage (I don't own it). Most DVD-Video apps simply
do not do the MLP encoding that makes DVD-A worthwhile. Its
frustrating, as you'd think *someone* would realize there's a huge
market to capitalize on and write a DVD-A solution for the mac...