[MPA] Audio/MIDI apps

luke etyrnal at ameritech.net
Mon Jul 12 13:41:18 PDT 2004

On Monday, July 5, 2004, at 11:19  PM, KweYao Agyapon wrote:

>  ProTools is always a front-runner on the audio side,

if you ask me - pro tools became popular like McDonalds...

a LOT of people were suddenly using it - but it was not the best...  it
has caught up in a lot of ways though...

part of the reason i feel it became so popular - is because it was one
of the earliest ones to look and work like a multitrack recorder in a
studio...

so now people didn't have to be computer geeks anymore to use a
DigitalAudioWorkstation (DAW)...

this means that Guitar guys could use it...  Producers could use it...
Tuba players could use it...  cuz it was simpler...  and more similar
to 'real world' recording devices...

Cubase and Logic and some of the other early ones were still a lot of
midi-techie sci-fi mystify people style...

people who didn't feel like 'techies' or geeks could use pro tools...

and in the beginning pro tools was not the best - just the easiest to
approach for the non-techie...

>  but most of my current composition involves MIDI. help

Cubase...

> Among interfaces, the M-audio FireWire 410 looks good,

i have m-audio fw410 - works awesome.   only one midi in/out...  but
you could add one for cheap...

>  as does Mackie's Spike and M-Audio's Ozone,

i tried three different USB midi/audio interfaces by three different
companies...  USB audio is a headache.

> on the USB side. MIDI's the priority, with any interface that provides
> multiple ports (especially /outs/) looking better. Mic pre's are a
> necessity, since the interface will probably encounter a good deal of
> mobile use.

then the fw410 is a great choice