Opcode MidiPort - Drivers for OSX Found!

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusicareOnline.org
Sat Jul 24 00:55:18 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I have been on this list for a while but admit to not reading
everything that comes in.

I don't know if this has been brought up in recent months but I just
found it tonight and as an answer to my own prayers I just had to share
it with others even if it's old news.

As a longtime user of OS9 I was one of the holdouts to switch to OSX. I
resisted for 2 years. I finally did and fell in love with Jaguar and
then Panther. The switch to audio was not so easy though. The brain of
my midi studio is an Opcode Midiport 96 and I couldn't believe it when
I found out that it was useless in OSX. Since Opcode went out of
business there was no driver to make it active in OSX. It took me a
whole evening before understanding that. I was in the Audio/Midi panel
trying to set up my studio and could not understand for the LIFE of me
why nothing was working. I started reading internet threads and
realized that OSX had to have drivers installed to support the
hardware.

As a result, I stayed on my old G3 in OS9 in audio. I kept the G4 in
OSX for everything else. I started learning more about software synths
so that I wouldn't have to replace my hardware interface. No matter
what though, I still felt handicapped and limited with this one
obstacle.

Until tonight....

On a whim I searched the net just to see if maybe some enthusiastic
individual took it upon himself (or herself) to create a driver and
support for the Opcode. I mean, there have to be thousands of these out
there in studio racks collecting dust.

I DID find someone who wrote a driver. It's like Christmas....

The website is http://www.alquanto.com/download.html

The guy who wrote it actually employed the help of the old Opcode
programmers who now work at Apple. Not only has a driver for Jaguar
been around for over a year but an updated driver for Panther has been
out for 3 months!

I hope there is someone on this list who benefits from this knowledge.
I know I would have loved to have been told about this driver a year
ago so I could have my whole studio at my fingertips.

Don't trash your Opcode midi interfaces - they work now!

Kathy
www.kathylabonte.com