[MPA] USB v FireWire

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Sun May 9 21:46:38 PDT 2004

On 5/10/04 3:14 AM, "Gene Bogart" <gbogart at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 20:04:46 -0400
>> Subject: USB v FireWire
>> From: Bob Alexander <balexan1 at twcny.rr.com>
>>
>> I bought this G4 tower last year, instead of an imac, because
>> it has a PCI slot, which I was told was better for audio.
>> ============
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> The "PCI = better for audio" issue was true in the days before FireWire; I'm
> running audio (as well as video) streams via FW all the time, and also have
> several FW hard drives, and everything runs great. I do a lot of my
> professional audio work (voiceover and music recording) on an iMac, and also
> use the FW peripherals constantly with my PowerBook.
>
> Nothing wrong with PCI-input, for sure, but with the advent of FW speeds,
> the playing field has been leveled....
It is depending how many tracks you want to play ;o)
On my G4 533 MP Motu PCI 424 (2048 MK II + 24i + 1296 + Presonus) I could
record 54 tracks at a time. If you record a drum you will need up to 15 mics
! I use only 10 !
I have moved to a G5 2x2 because of QLSO. On the beast you can record up to
96 simultaneous tracks

On you Imac I doubt you could do this with a FW 400 interface.
I have friends having FW disk, FW audio on a PowerBook that have a lot of
problems.

If you want to do a song with 10 track a FW will do the job
But I have not seen any of this song lately ;o) you get song with 40 track
easily !

With a Motu system you can start with one module and add up to 3 (4 in
total), so your system can grow with.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Cyril Blanc
Independent Quantum Leap Symphony orchestra forum (QLSO) for Mac
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qlso