[MPA] G4, G5, multi-Mac setups

Scott Jacob Loehr scott at folkloehr.com
Tue May 11 08:00:36 PDT 2004

>How good of experience are you having doing Audio work on a G5 2x2?
>I'm still trying to decide if I want to move my audio for from my old
>PowerMac 8500/180 to my G4/450 or my G5 2x2.  I'd just as soon do
>everything; DTP, Video, Audio, and Internet on the G5.
>
>All I'm trying to do is move old forms of Audio to CD (78's, 45's,
>33's, 8-tracks, etc.).
>
>Zane

I'm using my G5 2x2 (2.5 GB RAM, 500 GB SATA) for audio & video only
(Digital Performer, Spark, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro), and I'm
using my G4 500 (1.5 GB RAM, 100 GB U160 SCSI, 60 GB ATA) for
everything else... Internet, Quark, Photoshop, etc.  I'm still doing
most of my final CD mastering & burning on the G4.  I think that for
stereo transfers, your G4/450 would be fine... but if you get into
any editing, sample rate conversion, or plug-ins, I'd go with the G5.
No question about video... go with the G5.  Internet could stay on
the 8500... unless you're uploading video stuff that you create on
your G5.  I've been keeping my G5 Internet-free to avoid any outside
contaminants.  I've got Panther running on both my G4 and G5... when
Software Update tells my G4 that there's a new update, I download it
and test a few programs on the G4.  If everybody plays nice for a
week or so, I network the G4 and G5 together and transfer over the
software updates to the G5.

Scott Jacob Loehr