[MPA] Upgrade time was Logic pricing

Jay Shaffer jshaf at jayshaffer.com
Thu Oct 7 09:33:18 PDT 2004

Every year it comes around, the time when all of your major software
programs become "obsolete" as the manufacturers  release a new improved
version.  And every year the list and forums light up with people
complaining about how they got caught in upgrade hell. Are you getting
ripped off? Or is it a good idea to take advantage of the upgrade path?
Let's look at two of my favorites, Apple's Logic and Steinberg's (Now
Pinnacle's) Cubase.
Both have a "high end" and "mid-level" product. For Logic, the "soon to
ship" new versions are Logic Pro 7 at a whopping $999.00 (read $1K!)
and Logic Express at $299. For Cubase the new versions are Cubase SX3
at $799 and Cubase SL2 at $499.  I f last year you had bought the then
current "high end" versions of these products, you would have shelled
out  $949 for Logic Platinum or $599 for Cubase SX2. To upgrade to
Logic Pro 7 from Platinum you're looking at $299 and to upgrade from
Cubase SX2 to SX3 you're looking at $149.
In my opinion, I would pit Cubase SX against Logic Pro feature for
feature any day. And to me ( although I haven't done it yet) the Cubase
upgrade path seems reasonable. You pay $50 less for upgrading than
buying the new version. On the Logic side of things, $1k for audio
production software is outrageously expensive. And then to tag you for
almost a third of that price for a upgrade is almost criminal. Is LP7
$300 better than Platinum? Maybe. But the upgrade path is not very
rewarding for product loyalty.
I f you look at the Logic line now, Apple has phased out the
"mid-level" Logic Gold and  while Logic Express is touted as mid level
we are really left with an  "entry-level" product.  Logic Express at
$299 is  twice as much as the "entry level" $149 Cubase SE!  Now I am
an Apple fan, but someone there had better take a look around at the
competition. You can even get into Pro Tools LE with the M-box included
for $500. (BTW Digidesign is even worse, upgrade wise)
Bottom line? You have to chose your product and the time to buy it
carefully in the first place and then decide If the upgrade path is
worthwhile for your product.
--
Jay Shaffer
Mac Audio Guy