[MPA] The Dark Side grows, Avid to acquire Pinnacle.

Bob Olhsson olh at hyperback.com
Tue Mar 22 07:48:28 PST 2005

At 1:33 PM -0500 3/21/05, Peter Kirn wrote:
>Oh yeah, I agree! Avid has an absolute stranglehold on video/film
>production, just as Pro Tools in the studio, competitors aside. So
>I'm  sure Sony and Apple will be watching this one closely.

Stranglehold?

A new video editing system is a drop in the bucket towards  the cost
of pro video and film production.  Exactly as in music, Avid  is
dominant because they had the first and best reasonably priced
product on the market and nobody is about to replace their Avid or
Pro Tools system with anything cheaper that is an unknown quantity
even if it appears to be somewhat better. There's a big difference
between the market for first time individual purchasers and that for
established production facilities.

If somebody comes up with something SIGNIFICANTLY better than Avid or
Pro Tools, you'll see the entire industry switch platforms in a
heartbeat but I'm not at all sure that's Apple's game plan. They act
like they want to sell BMWs and not Mack trucks.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN  (615).385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com/