[MPA] Changing pitch: cents vs. percentage

Scott Jacob Loehr scott at folkloehr.com
Sun Nov 20 05:51:53 PST 2005

	I guess 'perfect' is 'relative'...  :-)  If I've got a cold,
I'm usually flat by about 20 cents... otherwise, I can hear if
something's out if it's about 5 cents either way.  I'm much more
accurate in the mornings after sleeping well.  I never need another
external reference pitch.  The only times I have trouble is if I'm
trying to identify material from one source and there is music
playing from another source, particularly if it's louder - i.e.,
restaurant muzak while I'm composing.  I can easily create my own
internal reference pitches or chords to get me back on track if
needed.

	Contrary to what most people initially think, it really
doesn't bug me that much if an instrument is out of tune or if
somebody sings slightly off key.  I kindof allow for a certain amount
of slippage... kindof like when a soprano substitutes an excessively
wide vibrato for accuracy.  However, I cannot listen to Kenny G... he
consistently plays about 8 or 9 cents sharp.  I keep waiting for him
to even it out, but it never happens.  What's bright to one is an
icepick to another.

	While the 'parlor tricks' wear off quickly (identifying
notes, chords, intervals and the like, without a reference), I
appreciate it the most when I'm composing, since I can hear the
completed piece in my head at the correct pitch and write it down
wherever I am, as long as I've got blank staff paper and a pen.  Many
times, I compose directly into Finale when I'm at home, turning off
the sound of my Mac and MIDI keyboard.  It's a little faster, but I
still enjoy writing it out by hand the most.

	The hardest thing is for me to transpose by sight... can't do
it.  If I see a C, I gotta play a C, and it's gotta sound like a C.
I have tremendous respect for those who can transpose effortlessly.
I suppose it's a fair tradeoff!  Our choir director occasionally
transposes some of the shorter elements of our Church Services, and
it really knocks me sideways... kindof like sight reading times four
and a half.