[MPA] Changing pitch: cents vs. percentage

Scott Jacob Loehr scott at folkloehr.com
Sun Nov 20 05:58:09 PST 2005

Here are my opinions....

>yes that is an interesting question. I suppose some people may be
>closer than others. Perhaps a contest is in order....? ;)

I think that would be almost impossible, due to the varying strengths
and weaknesses in each of our musical backgrounds... probably the
safest approach would be using pure sine waves - say, an A-440, 442,
444, 438, 436....

>and is perfect pitch the same as being a 'golden ears'?

NO.  Discerning subtle variations in multiple sound sources
simultaneously doesn't require Perfect Pitch.

>and can it be learned?

NO.  Only further refined if originally present.