[MPA] Sound Level of tracks

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Feb 12 22:23:04 PST 2007

At 10:20 PM -0500 2/12/07, John McDaniel wrote:
>On Feb 12, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Scott Jacob Loehr wrote:
>>With most studio mixes, I'll find the loudest peaks and transients
>>within a song and reduce them by a few decibels in Digital
>>Performer.
>
>Save yourself the time and trouble by getting a high quality
>limiter/compressor and learning how not to overuse/abuse it.
>
>Unless you can perform a normalize function with the added feature
>of an adjustable headroom, it's not a wise choice in many
>circumstances. Simple normalization will do nothing toward evening
>out the perceived volume of disparate tracks. IF the normalization
>algorithm takes RMS values into account, you _might_ get some
>satisfaction regarding volume balancing.

I'm trying to preserve old music from 78's.  As a result, the
"Normalization" option in Bias Peak looks to be just what I need.
While I want to try to balance the loudness of the tracks, I also
want to minimize the changes.

My thanks to everyone who has replied, obviously one of the chief
problems here is simply me not knowing the correct words to describe
what I am trying to do.

	Zane