[MV] Ilisten and ViaVoice

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 12:54:26 PDT 2003

On 8/25/03 2:46 PM, "Camner" <camner at iname.com> wrote:

> 1.  Recognition accuracy is far below VV at similar stages of training and
> use.  Is this just me, or is this a common phenomenon?

It's quite common for a noticeable drop / lag in accuracy to occur once you
read the 4th training story; this persists until you have read all 12
stories.

> 2.  ilisten also adds a large number of extraneous words (I suspect they are
> breathing related).  I turned up the silence threshold, and that helped, but
> not sufficiently.

This might be related to your fist problem I cannot say for sure. 1.6.x also
appears to be a bit more sensitive to microphone position.

> 3.  The inability (unless I'm missing something) of adding phrases (e.g.
> proper names), except via "Learn my Vocabulary", is a pain.  I don't want to
> write a bunch of stuff with all the names I want in it.  I just want to add
> the names I use frequently.  Am I missing something here?

Yes you are. You can use the phonetic editor added in 1.6.0 for this.
Dictate as you would normally and when a name or phrase is incorrectly
recognized bring up the correction window and:

1) Correct the name or phrase but DO NOT press done.

2) Bring up the phonetic editor by choosing by "what you say" from the drop
down menu on the right.

3) Leave the "what you see" box alone and type words that show you you
pronounce the word / phrase in "what you say" e.g. I chat for iChat, airport
for AirPort, Mac OS ten for Mac OS X, etc.

4) press Create Phonetic

5) press Set Phonetic

Repeat this process for all the problem words / phrases then press done.

Occasionally you may have to manually edit the phonetic that iListen creates
during this process; I had to to get iListen to recognize my last name. When
working with names I have found it best  to leave "what you see" and "what
you say" alone, but manually edit the phonetic. Once you are done manually
editing the phonetic press set phonetic (do not press create phonetic in
this case). The phonetic symbols are documented in the 1.6 addendum PDF

If you have any more questions feel free to post here.

--
T. Patrick Henebry
tphenebry at comcast.net