[MV] Re: Key Commands in iListen?

Chuck Rogers theChuck at mac.com
Thu Feb 6 20:04:02 PST 2003

Jonathan (and everyone else):

> thanks for the feedback. This solution is what I sort of figured it
> was the way to do this, but I was hoping for something a little more
> simple. It would be great if we can just simply state "do this" and
> have the computer respond as if we had pressed the keys without having
> to create a script. I wonder if there's anything like that the works
> for future versions of iListen?

I can't say for sure what is on tap for iListen (or ViaVoice or
PlainTalk), since I am not employed by MacSpeech (or IBM or Apple), but
I can tell you that a lot of the problem has to do with the OS itself.
There needs to be a "communicator" between the program and the OS that
translates what the user is asking. That communicator is a script. All
three programs have the capability of creating these scripts. With
iListen it is a bit more difficult than either IBM (their KSD editor
makes creating spoken shortcuts a breeze), and PlainTalk has a similar
mechanism.

Of the three, PlainTalk actually comes the closest to what you want -
but even with it, the command must still be created before it can be
used. I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

> By the way... I switched to iListen today, after using via voice for
> the last week (I actually used in many months ago as well) and can't
> believe the difference in how well iListen responds on my computer.
> The only real thing viavoice has over iListen is integration of
> command and dictation in a relatively seamless manner.

Glad you are finding iListen useful. I know that different people have
vastly different experiences with the two programs.

Best Regards to all,

Chuck Rogers