[MV] Re: PC Immulators for VV

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Fri Feb 14 12:04:24 PST 2003

>  But unless you need hands-free control of your computer, the Mac
>voice recognition software will work just fine and save you from the
>horrors of the PC.  :-)

Well there *are* other aspects of both ViaVoice Pro for Windows and
various versions of NaturallySpeaking that are superior to *anything*
currently shipping on the Mac.  I don't need a completely hands-free
system but I do need speech recognition due to a disability which
among other things effects my hands.  If I had to produce large
amounts of text daily I'd still go with a PC over a Mac.  This goes
double if I were a professional writer of some sort.  What is
available on the Mac is not quite there yet and is only suitable for
low to moderate needs.  I say this having used NaturallySpeaking And
ViaVoice Pro for years, ViaVoice for Mac OS X almost a year, and
iListen 1.5.x for many months.

Do I like my Mac? Yes.  Do I think Mac OS X is better than Windows?
Yes, *in some areas*.  Is Windows based speech recognition software
unquestionably better than what is currently available on the Mac?
Most definitely.  Will the Mac catch up?  Maybe, but I'm not positive
simply because developers have a greater return on investment in
other markets for speech recognition.  I'll stop there since this is
a list for Mac based speech recognition.