[MV] Re: PC Immulators for VV

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Fri Feb 14 15:03:52 PST 2003

>Please refresh my memory.  Which continuous speech recognition
>program was released for Macintosh in 1998?

The first continuous speech recognition for the Mac was IBM ViaVoice
Millennium Edition.  After doing further research on the date it was
1998 that IBM announced it would develop a Mac based version of
ViaVoice.   ViaVoice Millennium Edition was first available on
December 8th 1999 according to IBM's press release archive.

By that time as I stated before everything had already stabilized on
the PC side.

Though, curiously enough, I cannot find press releases with dates for
either ViaVoice Enhanced (the successor to ViaVoice Millennium
Edition) or ViaVoice for Mac OS X I do know that IBM released
ViaVoice for Mac OS X in November of 2001.  It remains to be seen
whether or not the Mac can close the 3+ year gap in capabilities.  I
know some of the problems are due to the Mac OS itself.