[MV] Jaguar 10.2.4 vx ViaVoice

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Wed Feb 19 22:32:07 PST 2003

>However, I would like to move up to OS
>10.2.4 from my current 10.1.2.   The question is, do I dare?  I think I
>have read in these columns that the last Jaguar is working well
>withViaVoice.  I have not upgraded the ViaVoice with what I remember is
>a faily recent unnumbered ungrade.  Is this important for me to do if I
>go to Jaguar 10.2.4?

I'm running ViaVoice for Mac OS X under 10.2.4 without problems.  However:

***If at all possible do an archive and install of 10.2, then install
the ViaVoice update, then upgrade to 10.2.4.***  If an archive and
install isn't possible then do a regular install of 10.2, update
ViaVoice, then update Jaguar to 10.2.4

DO NOT run ViaVoice for Mac OS X under Jaguar without installing the
update to ViaVoice.  There are some major compatibility problems if
the ViaVoice update is not installed

After installing Jaguar you may encounter problems with ViaVoice not
recognizing the microphone.  If so follow these steps:

1) Double check Sound->Input in System Preferences to be sure it has
the proper input device selected instead of any built in microphone
(if you are using an NC-7100 USB microphone or a microphone connected
to an Andrea Electronics USB Pod it should be AK5370).

2) Double check Speech->Speech Recognition->On/Off in System
Preferences to make sure Speakable Items is OFF.

3) Double check Speech->Speech Recognition->Listening in System
Preferences to make sure the proper input device is selected in the
Microphone drop down list (if you are using an NC-7100 USB microphone
or a microphone connected to an Andrea Electronics USB Pod it should
be AK5370).

4) If the microphone is still not being recognized by ViaVoice for
Mac OS X try manually increasing the Input Volume in Sound->Input
within System Preferences.  I cannot give you any hard and fast
rules.  It's a matter of trial and error as to how much to increase
the Input Volume (this step is sometimes necessary on PowerBooks or
iBooks).

I have found that ViaVoice is a bit faster and just slightly more
accurate under 10.2.4