taking the plunge (2)

Chris Bourque bourquec at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Jan 15 13:34:16 PST 2003

In fear and trembling, and despite the cautionary remarks of T. Patrick
Henebry, I went out and bought a G4 powerbook 867 MHz with 1024 RAM, the
best microphone on the market (thanks Martin) and ViaVoice (again- I had
purchased a previous version). I considered going the PC route but was
reluctant to "give up" for a number of reasons, some probably not entirely
logical.

I am running OS 10.2.3 and ViaV 10.2.2. I have had little or no problem
running mostly older software on the classic platform before this.

I was prepared for somewhat of a rocky road, and a gradual acceptance of a
more buggy system than the PC offers, but I have had some disconcerting
early problems. The main issue right now is that I can't get the Setup
Assistant to analyze my documents. When I click on the add button, I am
presented with an hierarchical display which I can follow through to the
text documents that I want to add, but the documents are ghostly and I can't
highlight them, can't add them. Even documents created by my new VV program
are not reachable. My speakpad freezes up on me at times and won't respond
to any commands (I know this is a reported problem), and I can't get the
program to register the software with  IBM. It states that it "can't form an
internet connection" despite the fact that Explorer is working fine, up and
running.

I tried de-installing the software (and using the find file to get all the
parts that were left behind by the de-installer, keeping my embryonic voice
file as the only residual), re-installing the program, to find exactly the
same problem. Have not tried tech support yet; as per above, they don't know
I exist yet.

Please tell me this is some silly little mistake on my part.

Thank you all.

Christopher Bourque