[MV] taking the plunge (2)

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Wed Jan 15 14:29:37 PST 2003

>I am running OS 10.2.3 and ViaV 10.2.2. I have had little or no problem
>running mostly older software on the classic platform before this.

If you have not already downloaded the update to ViaVoice for Mac OS
X from IBM and installed it do so.

<http://www-3.ibm.com/software/speech/support/us/vvmac3_update.html>

IBM only supports it up through OS X 10.2.2 officially; but I've been
running it under 10.2.3 without any problems.  This update does solve
many problems with running ViaVoice under Jaguar.

>The main issue right now is that I can't get the Setup
>Assistant to analyze my documents. When I click on the add button, I am
>presented with an hierarchical display which I can follow through to the
>text documents that I want to add, but the documents are ghostly and I can't
>highlight them, can't add them. Even documents created by my new VV program
>are not reachable.

Any documents you want to analyze must be in Plain Text format.
SpeakPad, TextEdit, and many others use RTF format.  What I did was
create a folder called Sample Documents then use my word processor to
save copies of documents in text format to that folder.  Then I just
told ViaVoice to analyze everything in that folder.

NOTE: SpeakPad documents can only be analyzed during a Save and to do
so you must have Analyze When Saving Documents checked in your
SpeakPad Preferences.  Otherwise you must convert them to plain text
and then analyze them.

>My speakpad freezes up on me at times and won't respond
>to any commands (I know this is a reported problem)

What I do for this is to use the Save option in the file menu every
few minute AND check the option to save the dictation session.  You
can *usually* do this via keyboard and mouse right after a freeze
too.  That way when SpeakPad freezes not only isn't much lost, but
When I reload the file after Quitting /relaunching SpeakPad I still
have all the audio data avail;able should I need to correct
recognition errors in what I've already dictated.

>I can't get the
>program to register the software with  IBM. It states that it "can't form an
>internet connection" despite the fact that Explorer is working fine, up and
>running.

This is most likely a problem with the server on IBM's end.  If it
persists call support and report it (along with any other problems).
Not being able to register is a legitimate reason for calling support.

>Please tell me this is some silly little mistake on my part.

It isn't.