[MV] Type of Microphone to Purchase

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 10:54:37 PDT 2003

On 7/12/03 2:15 AM, "Stan Robinson" <stanrob at internode.on.net> wrote:

> My computer is an iMac G4/800 and the Speech programme I am using, is
> ViaVoice version 3.0. I would like to upgrade to a better type of
> microphone. The microphone I am using at the moment, is the microphone
> that came with the programme,
> I am sure this same question has been asked many times in the period,
> since the list's inception.
>
> "What type of microphone should I purchase that will be compatible with
> my computer"?

Stan,

I see you've already heard from Martin Markoe. To his reply let me add that
I use a VXI TalkPro Xpress connected to an Andrea Electronics USB pod on a
800 MHz G4 iMac with 768 MB RAM and get excellent results. Accuracy is
noticeably better than the stock microphone that came with ViaVoice for Mac
OS X. I have not tried it with the Parrott USB Pod but the results should be
similar.

The accuracy improvement makes it well worth investing in a TalkPro Xpress
and a USB pod.

Keep in mind you will have to train a new profile for this new microphone to
get the best results. Note that I did *not* say new user. ViaVoice can keep
multiple profiles within the same user. This is what you should do when
working with different microphones in ViaVoice to avoid actually having to
log on to your Mac as a different user.
--
T. Patrick Henebry
tphenebry at comcast.net