[MV] [PR} MacSpeech announces major step forward in Speech Recognition for Apple's Mac OS X Operating System

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 10:53:42 PDT 2003

>Hi all:
>
>The long awaited updated to iListen, iListen 1.6, has been released. All
>current iListen 1.5.x users can update for free through our update center
>at:

Since the above releases me from from NDA let me just say that 1.6
for Mac OS X is a HUGE improvement over 1.5.2. How huge you ask? Huge
enough that one of iListen's biggest detractors (me) can finally
recommend it (though just like ViaVoice it isn't appropriate for all
situations).

Unfortunately, under OS 9 not much has changed. Under OS 9 you have
version 1.5.5 (the updater upgrades iListen to whichever is
appropriate 1.5.5 or 1.6) which is essentially 1.5.2 with a few bug
fixes. (Believe you me they tried hard with the OS 9 version but the
technical difficulties were just to great.) Also, according to
MacSpeech 1.5.5 is in all likelihood the last OS 9 version of iListen.

I just cannot recommend version 1.5.5 for Mac OS 9. But version 1.6
for Mac OS X is well worth considering.

For some information on the new features in 1.6 see:

<http://www.macspeech.com/iListen1_6features.html>

If you're running OS X iListen 1.6 is worth considering.

(People who require a hands-free computing environment still need to
use Windows-based speech recognition programs.)

I have no affiliation with MacSpeech other than being a beta tester.

This message was dictated using the following:

15 inch LCD iMac with SuperDrive
800 MHz G4
768 MB RAM
VXI TalkPro Xpress connected to an Andrea Electronic USB pod
Mac OS X 10.2.6
iListen version 1.6.0