[MV] Re: iListen v1.6 setup

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Sun Jun 8 02:13:17 PDT 2003

>I appreciate the effort you all have spent in answering my question.
>It appears that the consensus is that the problem is with my USB
>hub.  An issue is that the G4 tower that I have has only two USB
>ports.  I currently have one connected to the hub and the other to
>my keyboard.  The sound pod is connected to the hub.  I have a
>printer and my wife uses a digital camera.  I have connected the hub
>to the keyboard and then connected the sound pod to the G4 but this
>arrangement strangely does not work (both the printer and camera no
>longer work).
>
>So now my question is, should I get a different hub? Or perhaps
>connect the hub to the G4 and the keyboard to the hub? Or ...?

Mike,

First a question--is the hub powered (i.e. does it have a power
adapter that can be plugged in)? Printers and cameras can draw too
much current to work with unpowered hubs. Also, the keyboard itself
ins an *unpowered* hub so you're going through two hubs with that
setup--the first one in the chain being unpowered. This isn't a good
idea.

Here is what I would try first if your Belkin hub is powered. Connect
the USB pod directly to one of the G4 USB ports (remember you DO NOT
want it connected to a hub if at all possible). Connect the Belkin
hub directly to the other G4 USB port; then connect your keyboard to
the hub and your mouse to the keyboard. (Your keyboard and mouse will
work fine this way; I know several people who have done this when
faced with a shortage of ports.) Then connect the printer and camera
to the Belkin hub. This way you have the USB pod connected directly
to the G4 and the devices with high power requirements can connect
directly to the hub.

If that does not work then the next thing is to try the same setup
with a different *powered* hub.