[MV] Re: Microphones for iListen/some thoughts

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Mon Jun 9 10:48:08 PDT 2003

>As an invalid with limited use of my hands, correction is difficult
>for me, so therefore why it accuracy is very important. Given my
>system - G4 PowerBook, 667 MHz, USB, 512 Mb RAM, running OS X 10.2.6 -
>and my speech recognition software of choice - iListen 1.6 - which
>would be the highest quality microphone that you could recommend which
>would be available in Australia if possible?

Erika,

If I may chime in here, as a user of iListen 1.6 I can tell you from
experience that you get *much* better accuracy with iListen if you
*do not* use either the NC-7100 or any of the ANC series microphones
by Andrea Electronics. I have used both over extended periods, and
they do not work well with iListen.

If you can get them I highly recommend one of the VXi TalkPro models
connected to an Andrea Electronics USB pod. (Stay away from the VXi
Parrott microphones.)

I too have problems with my hands (in my case due to Cerebral Palsy)
so I know how important recognition accuracy is.

I don't know if there is a localized Australian version of 1.6
available yet; but the hands-free correction features in the 1.6 US
version work quite well. Take a look at the PDF titled "iListen 1.6
Manual Addendum".