[MV] Re: ViaVoice vs. iListen

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 21:09:21 PDT 2003

>Speech recognition software for Windows has always been ahead of what
>is available on the Macintosh platform. In fact, the Macintosh
>platform has still not caught up to wear Windows was in terms of
>speech recognition back in 1999. I say this as someone who has been
>using speech recognition since the days of DragonDictate for DOS.

DragonDictate was ported to the Mac as PowerSecretary, and it did allow
for hands free operation of the Mac. Unfortunately it became less stable
with each release of the Mac OS after system 7. I still use it with
System 9, but I know where the problem areas are to avoid.

[snip]

>When it comes to command-and-control ViaVoice provides the user two
>options should they wish to create their own voice commands:
>keystroke macros (which do have some limitations) or AppleScript. By
>contrast iListen is entirely dependent upon AppleScript for creation
>of voice commands. This makes ViaVoice a better choice for those who
>want to create their own voice commands but do not know, or wish to
>learn, AppleScript.

Programming keystroke macros for iListen doesn't require knowledge of
AppleScript, but simply some cut and pasting (copy existing keystroke
AppleScript, use TypeKey X to get the AppleScript lines for the
keystrokes you want. It's not as continent as ViaVoice (until you get
used to it), but since it allows multiple key sequences like "Select 5
lines", it's much more powerful.

I either agree with or don't have knowledge about everything I snipped
out <g>
Joe Senecal