[MV] Re: ViaVoice vs. iListen

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 22:07:22 PDT 2003

>DragonDictate was ported to the Mac as PowerSecretary, and it did allow
>for hands free operation of the Mac. Unfortunately it became less stable
>with each release of the Mac OS after system 7.

Yes, I know. In fact I have used PowerSecretary (I was one of the
first users in Ohio of version 1.0 back in August of 1994.)

>Programming keystroke macros for iListen doesn't require knowledge of
>AppleScript, but simply some cut and pasting (copy existing keystroke
>AppleScript, use TypeKey X to get the AppleScript lines for the
>keystrokes you want. It's not as continent as ViaVoice (until you get
>used to it), but since it allows multiple key sequences like "Select 5
>lines", it's much more powerful.

Hmmm... Good point, and there are limitations as to what keystrokes
you can string together with the KSD Editor in ViaVoice. Though some
may still prefer the ViaVoice method. Dealing with AppleScript code
at all scares some people. MacSpeech *does* include the OS 9 app
TypeKey helperas well as TypeKey X; but they are unsupported.

>I either agree with or don't have knowledge about everything I snipped
>out <g>

<chuckle> That's one way to handle it. BTW sorry about the
uncorrected errors in that last post. I guess I got careless.