[MV] A couple of transcription comments.

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 22:13:53 PDT 2003

>First, transcription into iListen is possible without a supported
>device. You can hook up any audio device and transcribe directly
>into iListen. As long as that device is hooked up and can be
>configured as an audio input device, iListen won't know the
>difference. Granted, you will not be using iListen's special
>transcription features if you do it this way, but it IS possible.
>(And I STRONGLY suggest you not try to transcribe from a tape
>recorder - tape hiss renders speech virtually unusable for
>transcription through software.)

[snip]

Chuck, what you say is true. But in my opinion using an unsupported
device is a BAD idea. The horrendous accuracy problems just don't
make it worth it. I've been telling people for years that if the
device isn't supported (Mac or Windows) don't use it. This saves
them--and me--a lot of headaches.