[MV] Re: A couple of transcription comments.

Chuck Rogers theChuck at mac.com
Tue Jun 17 22:32:42 PDT 2003

Actually, accuracy is relatively good. I see no difference in
recognition from a CD where I have recorded speech as AIFF files input
via the audio jack in my pismo vs. using the supported Olympic
dictation recorder via USB. Once again (and I speak as someone who has
actually tried multiple ways of inputing information into iListen), the
program really doesn't care where the sound comes from, as long as it
has been trained to recognize it.

The caveat really is three-fold:

1). Use a digital recording device.

2). Read the training stories into the recording device and play it
back to create a profile for that device.

3). You MUST speak punctuation.

Now, that having been said - recognition is "relatively" good. While
you may get recognition as good as the supported device, the user must
still decide if 80-90 percent recognition is good enough to warrant
using the device vs. just re-speaking or typing the information.

In my opinion, the only advantage of using a "supported device" is that
you can transfer the sound files much more quickly - in other words,
not in real time. I see no advantage whatsoever in accuracy of a
"supported device" over other digital recording methods.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers