[MV] Re: How much RAM?

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Fri Jun 20 17:07:57 PDT 2003

>ViaVoice gobbles up RAM. I have never encountered an app with
>anywhere near such an appetite for memory. I too have a PowerBook G4
>Titanium with 512 Mb of RAM, and it is paging out to disc within
>half an hour of firing up VV, even if I am not dictating. The Voice
>Centre must be put to sleep every second that you are not actually
>using it or it eats up nearly a Mb a minute, just by being on and
>awake, according to IBM tech support; it can't just be left on like
>iListen.

  Erica,

I have never had that happen with ViaVoice for Mac OS X.And I acted
using the application for over a year. In fact, I have ViaVoice
running right now along with top in order to monitor memory usage and
see no sign of any such behavior. True, Member usage will increase
slightly during the course of a dictation session. But nothing like
you describe.

On another note the Jaguar patch was absolutely essential for me and
did not cause additional problems. I am currently running my speech
recognition software on the following set up:

15 inch LCD iMac with SuperDrive
800 MHz G4
768 MB RAM
VXI TalkPro Xpress connected to an Andrea Electronics USB pod
Mac OS X 10.2.6

I'm currently at loss to explain your difficulties.