[MV] Saving corrections

T. Patrick Henebry tphenebry at comcast.net
Fri May 23 13:20:47 PDT 2003

>I use ViaVoice every day in my medical practice.  I have the Correction
>Window open and dictate into the Speak Pad.  If errors arise, I
>highlight them and pick the correct word on the list of the Correction
>Window.  Once I finish a job, I transfer the note to my  electronic
>medical record.  I then have no need to save the dictation on the Speak
>Pad so I write over it.  My question is, are the corrections I make
>being saved by the program?  Saving everything that one does on the
>Speak Pad seems like a waste, but in my reading of the ViaVoice manual,
>it is not clear whether or not I need to save these dictations in order
>to allow the corrections to be saved.

Dan,

I don't blame you for being confused, the documentation for ViaVoice
has always been a bit lacking when it comes to being able to find the
information you need.  Unfortunately for the user you often need to
check both the printed documentation and the on-line help (things are
no different for the Windows versions).  The following text is
directly from the on-line help:

"You can use the Correction Window to correct misrecognized words
while you are dictating text into SpeakPad. Each time you use the
Correction Window, ViaVoice updates your Voice Model, which improves
future recognition. You can correct your misrecognized words or
phrases using a combination of spoken commands, typing, and mouse
clicks."

This means that that corrections are saved at the time you make them.
Despite this the software will still occasionally make mistakes
because it is impossible to produce a speech recognition engine that
is 100% accurate on a regular basis.  There are simply too many
variables.

Since ViaVoice still has the unfortunate tendency to periodically go
deaf I do make a habit while working to save what I'm working on
occasionally with the option checked to also save the speech session
data. (If you prefer you can have ViaVoice save automatically at
every few minutes.)  This way if ViaVoice goes deaf and I need to
exit and restart the program I can we loaded the session data and
start right where I left off at the last save while still maintaining
the ability to edit, or correct, text anywhere within the document.
When I'm finished for the day I can easily delete all of the speech
session files I have created. (I can also choose to save those that
are long-term projects until I have finished writing those documents
so that I will always have the ability to edit or correct text
anywhere within the document. )