questions about customizing ViaVoice

Charlie Moody shaman at mac.com
Tue May 27 09:32:26 PDT 2003

  after many months of planning, and more than a few false starts, I
finally have ViaVoice  both installed and fairly well-trained.  I must
say, I am genuinely impressed by the accuracy achieved so far.

Before I continue: am I supposed to be able to dictate directly into
Apple's mail program? I ask this only because that's what I'm doing,
and I thought that was not possible.  I tried this because earlier I
was pasting from SpeakPad to TextEdit without turning off the
microphone and discovered TextEdit was registering my vocalizations!

Anyway, back to my question: in my office, I have to distinct sound
profiles - fan off (quiet), and fan on (loud).  I understand that I can
train of voice models to handle each circumstance, but I've found it
quite sufficient so far to simply re-calibrate the microphone to the
noise level and let it sort out my voice from the rest of the noise (it
is actually quite good at this);  but anything repetitive it gets
tedious, and I find that what I want to do is duplicate my current
voice model and in one copy, calibrate the mic for profile 1, and
calibrate the other for profile 2.

Is this possible? If so, how do I do it - or rather, does anyone on the
list have any experience with doing this or similar things? As my
current way of working is actually working very well, I really don't
want to risk messing things up -  and I really don't want to invest the
extra time and effort into training a whole new model!

Thanks, hi, and I'm looking forward to your responses.  Now, off to
Safari, to see if I can dictate their to!!!