Panther, ViaVoice & iListen

Camner camner at iname.com
Thu Nov 13 20:01:20 PST 2003

With much trepidation, I have upgraded my Dual G4/867 to Panther, and have
upgraded iListen to version 1.6.3. I have also attempted to run  ViaVoice.
Ilisten 1.6.3 seems to function under Panther just as well as previous
versions under Jaguar. That this, I continue to find myself somewhat
frustrated by low accuracy rates in iListen.

ViaVoice did not start initially under Panther. Voice Center simply didn't
launch. I manually uninstalled all ViaVoice related files, except for my
user profile. I then reinstalled ViaVoice, did an initial enrollment, and
then restored my former user profile. ViaVoice functions, with only one
hitch: after starting Voice Center, issuing the command "dictate to speak
pad" launches speak pad, but then it unexpectedly quits. However, I can get
into speak pad by directly opening the speak pad application.

I am quite frustrated by the fact that ViaVoice has far greater accuracy for
me than does iListen. In fact, much to my surprise, ViaVoice after initial
enrollment (that is, reading only one story) is far more accurate than is
iListen after reading nearly all of the stories (I have only the long
Dracula story to train). I wish I understood why the speech recognition
engine in ViaVoice seems so much better at understanding me than iListen's.
It is particularly frustrating knowing that iListen is the only actively
supported and developed speech recognition product for the Mac. I really
don't want to use ViaVoice anymore, but at least for me, ViaVoice has
greater accuracy, and that makes it difficult to simply move entirely to
iListen.  And yes, I am using a recommended mic (TalkPro Express).

Robert