iListen interaction with built-in SR?

David Chin dwchin at umich.edu
Thu Nov 20 14:49:52 PST 2003

In message <list-9345627 at mail.ninewire.com>, JSenecal at aol.com writes:

> From what I saw in a quick glance, Speakable Items will give you more
> control to start with. I haven't tried customizing Speakable Items since
> OS 9, so I don't know what's posible. With iListen you'll need to create
> voice macros yourself, although these can be quite powerful.

A caveat: I've found that turning on full GUI access with Jaguar
causes crashes -- Acrobat, Finder, Safari, you name it.

Given that, it's quite easy to get the built-in SR to bind a spoken
command to some key-combination (chord).  First, say "Make this
application speakable", then "Define a keyboard command".  It'll prompt
you for the key combination, and the spoken command.  Basic things
like "Page down", etc are predefined.  "Show me what to say" to see
what's available.

Cheers,
--Dave