[MV] Re: iListen interaction with built-in SR?

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 16:35:06 PST 2003

>If one wanted only to control the Mac with your voice, and not dictate
>text, would there be a point in buying iListen, or would Speakable Items
>do the job as well or better?

Each has their strong points, but I'd start with Speakable Items and see
how that worked. The Panther addition looks like it allows you to control
any OS X menu by voice.

The main issue for me is accuracy, Speakable Items on my PowerBook rarely
can understand what I'm saying with either the internal or headset mic.
iListen is much more accurate. It occansionally gets commands wrong, but
usually gets them right.

>From what I saw in a quick glance, Speakable Items will give you more
control to start with. I haven't tried customizing Speakable Items since
OS 9, so I don't know what's posible. With iListen you'll need to create
voice macros yourself, although these can be quite powerful.

Joseph Senecal