Speech Prerences crashes on powerbook with speakable items selected (Informational)

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Sep 24 13:49:47 PDT 2003

Hello,

This is a FYI type post

Host: G3 400 Mhz powerbook

OS: Mac OS X 10.2.6

Speech Recognition: iListen 1.5.2

Problem: I wanted to try out Speakeable Items with my external
microphone. It is an Andreas NC-71. I probably got this microphone
when I got IBM ViaVoice.

So, I opened the speech preferences. I noticed that if the sound
preferences window has a different input source selected then the
speech preferences, that the speech preferences applications stops
responding and I have to force quit it. I match up the input sources
and the system preferences app still freezes. Same with just turning
it off. Then I have to log out and log back in to clear app or
re-initialize it.

I actually got the speakable items to work with the internal
microphone. It told me the time, the day and opened the speech
commands window.

It actually works with the external microphone. Would not recognize
"Tunis Who" but would recognize "Stop with the Jokes" Good to know I
could exit gracefully.

I noticed that if I disconnect the microphone to try another mic that
there is no input until I log out

The correct process seems to be the following

1) Open System Preferences.

2) Load the sound preferences. Select the desired input source such
as internal microphone or external microphone / Line In or, .....

3) Load the speech preferences. Do NOT turn on Speakable Items YET.
Click on the Listening tab and match up the source you selected in
the sound preferences and select that item in the "Microphone" drop
down list.

4) Select the "On/Off" tab and select the "On" radio button for the
"Apple Speakable Items is:" field

5) Have fun

John F. Richardson