Microphone input problems on G4's

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Sep 24 14:03:46 PDT 2003

Hello,

I have a Powerbook 400Mhz G3. I have iListen 1.5.2 installed.

I can talk to my powerbook and use iListen.

I have been using an Andreas NC-71 microphone with a standard audio
jack plugged into the input jack with the circle and the 2 triangles
as an icon on the back of the powerbook.

I would however, like to shift my research and development to my dual
G4. However, I have not been able to get any real sound input from an
external microphone into my G4 cube or my Dual G4 quicksilver desktop.

Some more information about my powerbook:

On my Sound Preferences window in the "Input" tab I have the
following choices for the "Choose a Device for Sound Input" function
	External microphone / Line In
	Sound Input
	Zoomed Video
	Internal microphone

First Question: What is Zoomed Video?

Now, iListen seems to work and I have read 2 training stories. The
microphone level seems to go well into the green. Microphone level on
the "Input" tab is about 75% towards Max.

Some more information about my G4:

Dual G4 1.42 GHz Quicksilver, 1.5 GB RAM.

iListen 1.5.2 installed.

On my Sound Preferences window in the "Input" tab I have the
following choices for the "Choose a Device for Sound Input" function
	Line In

Now, Macspeech says that they do not support microphones from Labtec,
Platronics and Andreas. Although I can get an Andreas mic to work on
my powerbook it will not work on my G4 desktop nor my G4 Cube.

I will upgrade my installation to iListen 1.6.1.

Question 1: Did I just luck out on my powerbook?

Question 2: Is the recommended advice to "Get a Telex or VXI microphone"?

Question 3: Is there anything about the G4 1.42 Ghz dual quicksilver
that I should be aware of with regard to speech input?

John F. Richardson