[MV] Microphone input problems on G4's

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 14:15:33 PDT 2003

>Now, Macspeech says that they do not support microphones from Labtec,
>Platronics and Andreas. Although I can get an Andreas mic to work on
>my powerbook it will not work on my G4 desktop nor my G4 Cube.

If I remember right, the G4 Cube will require a USB microphone (or
converter).

>I will upgrade my installation to iListen 1.6.1.

I found iListen to be much more usefull after I updated to 1.6.1. That's
when I switched to iListen from ViaVoice as my primary dictation program.

>Question 1: Did I just luck out on my powerbook?

I could get my Andrea ANC mic and Andrea USB pod to work with my
Silverlining dual G4, but not with my powerbook (powerbook had a bad
hum). The signal is weak on the desktop, but the program usually works
anyway.

I'm now using Plantronics mics on my powerbook. They might not be
supported, but I got them cheap, and they work better than the Andrea
Mics did there.

>Question 2: Is the recommended advice to "Get a Telex or VXI microphone"?

I have strictly unsuported microphones.

>Question 3: Is there anything about the G4 1.42 Ghz dual quicksilver
>that I should be aware of with regard to speech input?

It works and works well for me (though mine is only a dual 1 Ghz). I'm
using an Andrea ANC-650 microphone hooked up to an Andrea USB pod, which
is pluged into the keyboard.

Joe Senecal