[MV] Microphone input problems on G4's part 2

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 14:35:51 PDT 2003

>I was using the Andreas NC-71. Andreaelectronics.com says that it is
>a plaintalk mic.
>
>Can the casual user recognize a plaintalk mic just by looking at it?

A plaintalk mic has an unusually long plug. This is so that it can reach
a power connection to power the built in amplifier. They produce a 'line'
level signal instead of the lower signal normally produced by microphones.

>So, is there an advantage to just buying an adrea USB pod for the
>NC-71? I have an Andrea NC-7100 and iListen does not work with that
>USB Mic at least according to Macspeech. That may mean there is no
>possible way to re-use the ViaVoice Mics with a modern Mac.

No, the Andrea USB pod won't work with the NC-71, because the USB pod is
only set up for normal microphones.

However, the NC-7100 is a NC-71 microphone with a built in Andrea USB
pod. While not supported by Macspeech, I have used it and it worked. The
recognition might not be as good as with supported microphones, but it
does let you try out the program and decide if it is worth the investment
to get a better microphone.

Joe Senecal

P.S. One of these days I'll get one of the supported microphones to see
if it actually works better.