[MV] Re: iListen 1.6.4 - VV & Panther

JSenecal at aol.com JSenecal at aol.com
Tue Jan 20 15:01:40 PST 2004

>When you decide to begin correction you say "Correct That." The
>correction window comes up. You then say "Do Select" followed by the
>word you want to select. The word becomes highlighted. iListen provides
>a number of choices for what it thinks your desired word or phrase
>might be. If it appears in the list, you say "Press" followed by the
>number in the list (i.e. "Press Three"). If not, you can dictate the
>correction into the first correction box and say "Press One," but to be
>honest, most speech recognition programs aren't going to get it right
>the second time if they misheard you the first time. This is true of
>ViaVoice and Dragon as well.

Other notes:

Besides the "Do Select" or "Do Select Backwards" commands, there are also
voice commands such as "Press move left" or "Press Extend Right". Also
you can switch to spelling mode to dictate a correction letter by letter,
then switch back to dictation mode to say "Press One".

The only place in iListen where you must use the keyboard (or mouse) is
when commiting corrections. And even there, I think there is a preference
option to turn off that dialog.

Also, if you don't like the commands available in iListen, you can make
your own. For example, I made commands such as "Move Left 5" by using
copy and paste to duplicate the "Press Move Left" code 5 times. I used
the same techneque to make a spelling command "Choose 1" that switched
back to dictation mode and press the first choice button."

I used to use ViaVoice for dictating program code, but since the release
of iListen 1.6, I've been using iListen instead. I found Via Voice easier
to use when dictating into it's own Speak Pad application, but for
dictation into other applications, iListen works much better for me.

Joe Senecal