[MV] Comparing iListen and ViaVoice in 2004...

David K. Wehe dkw at umich.edu
Wed Jan 21 12:48:41 PST 2004

Opinions vary.  I use them both frequently, but primarily iListen for
short e-mails that I quickly manually correct as I go because it is
so fast.  ViaVoice is much more accurate for me, particularly in
SpeakPad.  If it is going to be more than a paragraph, it'll be via
ViaVoice.  Again, I find manual correction to be quicker.  Since
ViaVoice doesn't learn except by adding new words, there isn't much
benefit in automated correction.

It is too bad that we can't give the better speech engine and library
from IBM to the dedicated folks at iListen.  MacSpeech clearly cares
deeply about their product and customers.

David.

We can't do much about the speech product accuracy, but we can
control the sound input we provide.  I still wonder if there is much
variation in recognition accuracy between Andrea, Shure, and Parrot.
The on-off switch makes the Andrea my choice, and I haven't seen any
improvement using the other models mentioned.  Is this a common
finding?