[MV] Re: Comparing iListen and ViaVoice in 2004...

thechuck at mac.com thechuck at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 13:50:38 PST 2004

All:

My accuracy jumped considerably when I upgraded to iListen 1.6. I don't
know what happened under the hood to cause this, but it sure was
welcomed.

Keep in mind that there are quite a few variables that affect accuracy
- not the least of which is the user's voicel. Trying to determine
which engine is more accurate is a little like trying to quantify the
effectiveness of vitamin C in fighting the common cold. For some
people, it works wonders. For others, it has no effect at all (while a
small percentage of the population are actually allergic to it!).

Each product starts with a base voice model. If your voice is closer to
the ViaVoice base model, it will take less effort to make ViaVoice work
well for you. The same is true with iListen. Since the two products
have different base models, one person may find ViaVoice more accurate
while another finds iListen better.

The bottom line is that either program can be trained to perform
equally well over time. I urge all who own a version of iListen prior
to 1.6 not to base your opinions of the product on what you have
experienced so far. Comparing iListen 1.5 to 1.6 is a little like
comparing ViaVoice Enhanced Edition to version 3 for Mac OS X.

In the long haul I think everyone will be better off with iListen — and
not just because ViaVoice is no longer being improved. Here's why:
iListen 1.6.x actually learns when you employ the built-in correction.
When in the Correction window, if you enter a word iListen doesn't know
you will immediately be offered the opportunity to add it to the
vocabulary.

Is Correction in iListen cumbersome? Perhaps. But it is certainly no
more cumbersome than using ViaVoice's SpeakPad. If you think of
Correction as a version of SpeakPad integrated in such a way that it
interacts with whatever application you are in, its use becomes a much
more pleasant alternative.

Regarding accuracy, I am consistently getting above 95% - and keep in
mind I really don't use iListen much for dictation (I use it mostly for
command & control). Once you reach a level of  accuracy with which you
are satisfied, simply stop using Correction and fix misunderstood words
and phrases by hand.

For those interested in more details on how iListen works, there is a
lengthy technote on the subject on the MacSpeech web site at
<http://www.macspeech.com/edits/technotes/iWorks.html>. It is a little
dated — I don't think the references to processing time are as relevant
under Mac OS X — but it is still a good read.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers