[MV] microphones and sound pods /memory

Valerie Maples vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 2 07:20:53 PST 2004

It's me again, Sacha!

My personal experience in messing with the half-dozen microphones and
adapters that I have is that the Andrea USB pod works best with the
microphone with the most gain. Martin's recommendation is solid, as always.
For what it's worth, one of the biggest differences in microphones that I
have noticed with iListen is that it prefers to below further away from your
mouth, or you get tons of extraneous words from breathing. This is not that
problem at all for me since I use a hand-held microphone in a boom; in fact,
it is kind of nice.

Although with dragon naturally speaking most people recommend not surveying
your documents extensively to learn your writing style, it is almost
essential with the language model that iListen uses. Also, more so than with
dragon naturally speaking, additional training is of learning your voice are
extremely beneficial. Thankfully they are much smaller passages and you can
easily do one a day until you have done all of them.

If you need exceptional command and control abilities, and are using
Microsoft Office, you may want to use the previous version, Microsoft Office
X, since script packs are currently available for that. I have questioned
them as to when they think an office 2004 version might be available, but I
have had no reply to date.

I have one gigabyte of memory on my Macintosh G5 which is working well for
me with multiple windows open. I know people who are using as much as two
gigabyte of ram, but I have never run into the shortage at this point. I do
know that 384 on my iBook was very sluggish, but 640 was fine with usually
just two applications open.

Hope this helps!
Valerie