[MV] Where are we now?

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Mon Nov 8 09:26:39 PST 2004

Brian (and everyone else):

Your question is sort of a skewed "horse or cart" question. The answer
is "both" in the sense that the cart can only go as fast as the horse
(or horses) pulling it, but the cart must also be built to handle both
the speed at which the horse(s) will take it, as well as the roads on
which it will travel.

As computers get faster, engines will become more capable, and software
will be written to take advantage of increased computing power. In the
case of iListen, we still have work to do on the cart (in terms of
enhancements to the application) that we think are more worth the
results we will see than building a new cart for the faster horse(s).

To refer back to my original message, the horses are not significantly
faster than they were two years ago in terms of speech recognition.
Will you get better accuracy from a G5 than a G4? In the vast majority
of cases, yes (as long as you keep in mind there are other factors
besides just processing speed that affect recognition). But we aren't
at the point yet that we should forgo building enhancements to the
existing app and turn our attentions to a new speech engine.

We are at the point where we are looking at what that engine might be,
and starting to scope out how we might migrate to it over time. Once
that is in place, we will have a better handle on when we start writing
code for a new engine.

So to answer your question directly: the major roadblock towards better
accuracy is indeed processing power. But a 4Ghz G5 (or even G6 or G7)
probably won't provide significant boost there either. You are really
looking at computers 5 or 10 years from now before an engine can really
be thought of differently in terms of how it processes information. The
existing engines will continue to be improved over this time, but such
changes will be incremental, not monumental.

In terms of ease of use, there is a lot we can do on our end now,
without the need for faster processors - and some of the enhancements
to which I have been referring will certainly be in that direction.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.