[MV] New to list, Legally blind

Richard Smith spam_if_you_want_to at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 08:58:43 PST 2005

Wyldceltic1 wrote:

> I was three month preemie and parked in an incubator of pure oxygen
> and lights. My retina apparently took umbrage at this and went on strike.
>
> Consequently, I've been very visually impaired from 'day one' so to
> speak. I'm told by my retinologist that what ppl see normally at 20
> feet I would see the same thing at 2 feet.
>
> I have been trying to touch type and am somewhat getting it, but I
> really would be kinder to my wrists and so on if I could just dictate
> and my Mac would type for me. I hear disparaging things about Voice to
> Texy software, but that the mic and headset type do make a difference.
> I need to know what I should be looking at in these:

iListen is fast at dictating and relatively accurate.  However, even if
you're lucky and manage to get a 95% accuracy rate, most of your
sentences will still contain one or two errors and require correction,
and it is this that makes speech recognition much slower than touch
typing.  If you're blind I imagine the correction process is much slower
than for a sighted person (because you need screen reader software to
read your sentence back to you).  You really need to talk to other blind
users to confirm this, but I imagine you would be far better learning to
touch type.

I don't know how good screen reader software is on the Mac, but it would
be my guess that the Mac is not the best platform for blind users.  A
GUI is by definition graphical, i.e. visual.  I would suggest you try an
entirely textual based system such as Linux.  There is quite a lot of
free software available for Linux aimed specifically at blind users:
http://www.linux-speakup.org/
http://leb.net/blinux/

Linux can be used with a Braille display
http://www.mielke.cc/brltty/

On the other hand, Apple are planning to integrate a screen reader into
Tiger if you can wait for that:
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/

--
Richard