[MV] New to list, Legally blind

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Feb 20 19:31:17 PST 2005

Roger Harris said:

>And as Richard mentioned, the Mac may not be quite as good as the PC
>with Speech Software at this point. David Pouge the Tech reporter of the
>New York Times is an avid Mac person but uses the PC and Dragon
>Naturally Speaking to avoid very bad mousing and keyboard stresses he
>has. Mr Pouge has written about this issue a lot, and I would note that
>he uses the PC just for the Dragon Naturally Speaking software.

I'm not sure that it is fair to assume that Dragon NS is better than, for
instance, iListen on the Macintosh, just because David Pogue had better
success with Dragon.

First, that is a sampling of only one person.  Second, it seems to me
that one's success with a voice recognition product is mostly dependant
on how closely your voice matches the model used by the particular VR
program you are using.  If you are close, you may have excellent results.
 If you are far off, you may never come close to getting good results.

If you have an unusual voice, you may never get good VR results with
*any* VR program.

In any case, I don't think that it is fair to infer that Macintosh VR is
inferior to the PC's, or that folks should give up on using a Macintosh
VR program, and instead look to use a PC VR program, just because someone
else found that they had better results with Dragon on the PC.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html