[MV] "microphone may not be connected" error message in ViaVoice

Ric Barline rbarline at mac.com
Fri Jul 8 23:31:20 PDT 2005

I used (past tense) ViaVoice for OS 10.3 with 10.4.0 and it worked
great. After I updated to 10.4.1 I now get the error message stating
that my microphone may not be connected. My mic is fine, as confirmed
by Apple System Profiler, Sound Preferences, and Speech Prefs, so
this has got to be something deep within Tiger. So far the ScanSoft
support site (http://knowledgebase.scansoft.com/family.asp) only
refers to Tiger incompatibility issues in the following way:

"ViaVoice for Mac OS X and Simply Dictation for Mac OS X were
released prior to the release of the new Macintosh operating systems,
Mac OS 10.3 (Panther), OS 10.4 (Tiger). Testing is currently being
done with these new operating systems and a few compatibility issues
have been found. As additional information becomes available it will
be posted here."

I have tried everything including uninstalling the application
completely, for all users, and also trashing all residual preference
files, then reinstalling ViaVoice.

I am using ViaVoice 10.3 on a Cube running 10.4.1. Like I said, until
the upgrade from 10.4.0 ViaVoice worked just fine.