[MV] Plantronics.

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Sat Jul 9 07:55:45 PDT 2005

All:

The Plantronics Audio .85 is the first headset we have certified for
use with iListen. All others we have tested did not meet our testing
parameters. For what it is worth, we have 3-5 employees test a
headset before it can be certified. In order to be certified, a
headset must get reasonably good accuracy for at least 3 MacSpeech
employees, and be relatively easy to set up.

This does not mean that absolutely no other microphone will work with
iListen. We have many customers using microphones from Andrea or
Plantronics who are very happy with them. All we are stating is that
if you have a non-certified headset and come to us complaining that
your accuracy is poor, our first response will be that you should be
using a MacSpeech-certified headset (since no amount of twiddling
with the software settings will compensate for poor input).

The issue is that most headsets are made with Windows machines in
mind, not Macs. Mac OS X likes a more robust audio signal (in
general) than PCs.

Regarding the USB adapters that ship with our products, none require
batteries. If you have a headset that has a box for batteries, this
is actually a pre-amp that boosts the signal a little (and also
reduces the power drain when a PowerBook or iBook is being used on
battery-only power). All of the USB adapters we sell get their power
directly from the USB port itself.

Finally, there are always two places you can download the latest
version of iListen on our web site. From our Upgrade Center, and from
our Support site. We do this on purpose for the convenience of our
customers. Here are instructions for getting to both locations:

1). On our home page (www.macspeech.com), scroll down a bit and at
the bottom of the section regarding iListen (usually the first
section, but not always) find the words "Upgrade Center" and click it.

2). Click the word "Support" at the top of any MacSpeech web page.
Then click the word "Downloads" on the main Support page. You may
have to scroll down to find the latest updater.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.