[MV] Which Voice Recog Software for Transcribing

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Thu Feb 23 07:51:24 PST 2006

Cliff (and everyone else):

IBM stopped developing speech recognition software for Macs and PCs
in April 2003. Scansoft has the distribution rights, but there has
been no improvement in the software since then. Essentially, for
anyone interested in using speech recognition on a modern Mac,
iListen is the only choice on the Mac, just as Dragon
NaturallySpeaking is pretty much the only choice on the PC.

We have several doctors and lawyers who use our software every day.
We do not feel that professional vocabularies do a very good job,
considering that most users only use 500-1000 of the 10,000 to 15,000
words that are installed. With iListen, our approach is to allow the
user to add as many words as they would like using our innovative
"Learn My Writing Style" feature.

This feature learns new words in context, and thus does not degrade
the accuracy of the profile into which they are installed.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.