[MV] Voice Recognition Tech Question

Chuck Rogers thechuck at mac.com
Thu Mar 9 16:11:47 PST 2006

Dave:

Large corporations use a limited vocabulary speech recognition
system. Typically, these systems can recognize only about 1000 words
(or less). The way the usually work is that the computer is listening
for a word it recognizes, and then executes the appropriate action
based on the response.

For instance, if you call to get flight information it might ask you
if the flight is for today or tomorrow. It may even allow you to say
the day of the week. If you say "I would like flight information for
tomorrow" it hears "tomorrow." But if you say "I'd like flight
information for two weeks from Thursday" or "the second Wednesday in
April" it would not know how to handle the request.

They don't need training because of the limited vocabulary. The fewer
words that need to be recognized, the fewer that can sound alike,
also, context is not an issue. All this makes it easy to be
recognized. In a way, they are not that much different from the
Speakable Items developed by Apple.

Make sense?

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist