[MV] Several questions on ViaVoice for OS X

David K. Wehe dkw at umich.edu
Sun Mar 12 10:27:32 PST 2006

>(1) Can I get her a present of a new microphone to replace the
>Andrea USB 7100 headset that came with her copy of ViaVoice for Mac
>OS X?

David:  I have tried a LOT of microphones with my Mac, mostly from
emicrophones.  Surprisingly, the new Sennheiser headset that they
advertise there as their best does not work well at all when coupled
with the AndrePod.  It gives a very muffled, stuffy sound when used
with 10.3.X and 10.4.X.  I primarily still use ViaVoice, but
occasionally, for a break, use iListen, since iListen's recognition
engine doesn't work nearly as well for me.  I have tried the VXi
series (without on-off switch) and it works about the same as the
Andrea  as far as accuracy.

>(2)  Other suggestions would be welcome.

I'd ask Martin Markoe at e-microphones about the VXi bluetooth
solution -- it's wireless.  I haven't gone this route because I am
used to the on-off switch on my lap with the Andrea series.   I tried
the GN wireless solution many years ago, and it was so-so.

>() Has it been determined whether ViaVoice works with OS X 10.4.4 or later?

Works fine for me.