[MV] Several questions on ViaVoice for OS X

David Hertzberg davidhertzberg at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 12 00:13:58 PST 2006

I've been a member of this list for about 5 years, but have never
posted until now.  The reason is that I personally don't use voice
recognition (my carpal tunnels seem to be fine--knock on wood); my
now-ex-wife _does_.  Obviously we live apart, but I'm still her
computer support person.  However, because she started intensive
graduate study as soon as we separated, rule #1 is that I'm not
allowed to change _anything_ on her Mac--except to fix a critical
problem--while school is in session.  This means that I only hear
about her less-than-critical problems a couple of times a year.

She took me to dinner for my birthday tonight and, as the result of a
discussion about what present she wants for _her_ upcoming birthday,
I found out she has several speech recognition problems.  I couldn't
answer them definitively, so here they are:

(1) Can I get her a present of a new microphone to replace the Andrea
USB 7100 headset that came with her copy of ViaVoice for Mac OS X?
Obviously I can (and price is unlikely to be an issue, based on a
glance at www.emicrophones.com), but she has some particular
requirements that I'd like your suggestions on.  To begin with, she
wants a headset (single-ear, I think) rather than a boom mike.  Next,
it has to work with ViaVoice now on her Aluminum PowerBook G4, but it
also needs to be compatible with iListen in case she decides to
switch this summer or later.  Finally, automatic noise cancellation
would be nice but doesn't seem to be an absolute necessity, since she
dictates at home in a very quiet (except when her 20-year-old
dishwasher is running) apartment.

(2) Can I do something to prevent her new headset going the way of
her old headset, which she thinks is deteriorating because it has
been "knocked off its hook a few thousand times too many".  The hook
was designed to fit into the pegboard side of her faithful Sony
Trinitron CRT (she wanted a 15-inch one, so I got her the last model
made in that size; the hook came with it), but it really isn't
protective enough.  We're both in our mid-sixties, and she has some
vision problems, so we don't think there's a flat-panel monitor made
yet that would be good enough at 640 X 480.  I think a boom mike
would be the answer, but she doesn't.  Other suggestions would be
welcome.

(3) When she dictates directly into MS Word X under OS X 10.3.8, is
there some way to stop Via Voice from going into "read mode" when she
includes the _word_ "read" in her dictation?  I have just downloaded
the (ever so helpful) User's Guide, and it seems that Activating the
Attention Word might do the trick for her.  Are there drawbacks to
this?  Is the Attention Word _really_ not required for dictating
punctuation?  If Activating the Attention Word isn't what she wants,
will her saying "Stop Reading" at least get her out of the "read
mode" in Word X?

() Has it been determined whether ViaVoice works with OS X 10.4.4 or later?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David Hertzberg