[MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Gavin Wynford-Jones gavinwj at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 1 13:59:02 PDT 2006

Chuck,

Much as I support MacSpeech and iListen as a user, investor and
evangelist, I feel there is still a very long way to go before it can
be considered a serious challenger to Naturally Speaking, regardless
of the platform. One fundamental issue is that of the software
distinguishing correctly between commands and the words in the
command. Dragon made sure that all commands were at least two words,
MacSpeech took a different tack and allowed one word commands (my all-
time bugbear is "paragraph" which is recognised as a command 100% of
the time, even in the middle of a sentence, never as a word), without
providing an easy method to customise, expand, alter, or delete
anything in the command dictionary: I want to set it so that
"paragraph" is never recognised as a command, "return" types the word
rather than pressing the return key, and to be able to define "New
paragraph" and "Press return key" as replacement commands.

Then I would probably never have to go into command mode ever again,
because iListen would know the difference...

I love the fact that you've been able to do so much with so few
resources, when IBM couldn't keep it going with al the money and
people they have at their command. When people switch to an Intel
Mac, they're probably going to look at Boot Camp plus DNS and some of
them are going to go that route.

Gavin