[MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 14:18:26 PDT 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Gavin Wynford-Jones wrote:

>  Dragon made sure that all commands were at least two words,
> MacSpeech took a different tack and allowed one word commands (my
> all-time bugbear is "paragraph" which is recognised as a command
> 100% of the time, even in the middle of a sentence, never as a
> word), without providing an easy method to customise, expand,
> alter, or delete anything in the command dictionary: I want to set
> it so that "paragraph" is never recognised as a command, "return"
> types the word rather than pressing the return key, and to be able
> to define "New paragraph" and "Press return key" as replacement
> commands.

In iListen (specifically in the speech engine which is licensed by
MacSpeech), "paragraph" is a predefined word that types two return
characters, it is not a command. "New Paragraph" is also a word and
types the same characters. The difference between a word and a
command is that words can be corrected. Thus you can correct
"Paragraph" to spell out the word instead of typing the returns. I
run into the same problem with "Line" vs. "New Line". It's annoying,
but iListen does eventually start recognizing it as a word at least
some of the time.

I agree that a word editor that allows deletion of problematic words
would be very helpful in these situations. It would be great to be
able to get rid of words that you don't use but show up
inconveniently often in recognition. Also it would be nice to be able
to delete words you added by accident (misspelled words or other word
entry errors).

Joe Senecal
Note: I have no connection with MacSpeech other than being a User.